24.6.07

Lord Nelson


Lord Nelson
Originally uploaded by fred pipes.

It was an unexpected delight to see smoke over Hove station as I exitted Ellen's 50th at Ralli Hall around 11pm. I knew it was Lord Nelson, but it should have been at Hove much earlier (21.20 according to the tour company's website, on its way back from Bristol). I was a little bit drunk so the whole thing was like an amazing dream! I do have the albeit wobbly photos to prove it was real tho. Earlier in the day I'd been in Worthing to lend support to the launch of the Artists and Makers Festival. Dan had been up at 9am with young Edward to spot the Lord from a Worthing footbridge (without smoke deflectors). It was also the occassion of a handing over of a petition to the Mayor to save Elisabeth Frink's 'Desert Quartet' sculptures from being removed by the developer who was supposed to have 'gifted' them to the town. Alison Lapper was to have done it but she was late (but in time for the photos -- see some in Facebook). I had a quick look round Worthing - noting that the 'New Amusements' sign on the pier has been replaced by 'Pier Amusements', bought some chilli beer from Stumpy on the farmers' market, plus some BOGOF brocolli ('picked that morning', that would only go to feed the pigs if I didn't buy it!), and did a turn in the festival shop. Then it was a quick trip to snap the other big heads at Amelia Park, and a dash into Lidl for Norwegian smoked salmon. This morning I felt a bit rough and listening to the rain belting down outside decided not to do my planned Clarion ride around Littlehampton.

No comments: